Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Beau of Basic Juice Wants to Know: What $10 Wine Would Mondosapore Recommend Highly?

Beau, thanks for the invite. And for the nice words.

OK, I could offer a bunch of great suggestions for $10 Italian wines. I was going to put down a lovely, honeyed Grillo from Fondo Antico, but you covered a similar Grillo a few months ago.

So what to pick, what to pick? I have to return to one of my current favorites, a terrific Falanghina by Feudi di San Gregorio, which I recently bought by the case at $9.99 a bottle. (It was a factor in my "awarding" that winery with the Producer of the Year award. Along with their Greco, their Rubrato, their Fiano, etc.)

Tremendous balance of acidity and fruit in this dry white--and a flavor that develops in the mouth--I'm not one to liken a wine to lots of the other fruit flavors unless they bash me over the head--but this is citrus modified by apples. It's a great aperitif and accompaniment with seafood.

Jancis Robinson, whom I call the Empress of Wine (she probably wouldn't find it too amusing!) wrote that its quality was "truly inspiring," and she's right. For this price it's miraculous.

Ciao.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work »

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home